2017-07-12

Bayes Cannon, asteroseismology, binaries

Today, at MPIA Milky Way Group Meeting, I presented my thinking about Stephen Feeney (Flatiron), Ana Bonaca (Harvard), and my project on doing asteroseismology without the Fourier Transform. I am so excited about the (remote, perhaps) possibility that Gaia might be able to measure delta-nu and nu-max for many stars! Possible #GaiaSprint project?

Before me, Kareem El-Badry (Berkeley) talked about how wrong your inferences about stars can be when you model the spectrum without considering binarity. This maps on to a lot of things I discuss with Tim Morton (Princeton) in the area of exoplanet science. Also Yuan-Sen Ting (ANU) spoke about using t-SNE to look for clustering of stars in chemical space.

I spent the early morning writing up a safe-for-methodologists (think: statisticians, mathematicians, and computer scientists) description of The Cannon's likelihood function, when the stellar labels themselves are poorly known (really the project of Christina Eilers here at MPIA). I did this because Jonathan Weare (Chicago) has proposed that he can probably sample the full posterior. I hope that is true! It would be a probabilistic tour de force.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    Dan F.-M. and I have been working on using celerite to do asteroseismology in the time domain, which I mentioned in my presentation at TASC yesterday. So far, it looks like getting numax for an ensemble of similar stars is fairly simple (still working on finding deltanu, though). Curious to hear your thoughts on the subject!

    ReplyDelete