2016-05-02

single transits, surfaces, and variance

[I have been out on vacation; hence the lack of posts recently.]

Out of the blue came an email from So Hattori (NYUAD), who has found many single transits (long-period planet candidates) in the Kepler data. This is awesome! Foreman-Mackey and I discussed the goals for Hattori's project, and its relationships with Foreman-Mackey's current project (which has found a Saturn analog and has some occurrence rate results).

In the morning, I spent time with Leslie Greengard discussing various matters related to the description (on a computer, say) of continuous (and infinitely differentiable) surfaces. There are some outstanding problems, which seem like simple math problems but are unsolved. This has nothing to do with anything I am working on, but I could get hooked. Of course my position is that the determination of a surface given control points ought to be cast as an inference problem!

The remainder of the day was spent planning and outlining my argument in my “Inference of Variance” project: How the question of inferring the variance of a process (that generated some points or data, say) is related to the problem of cosmological parameter estimation, and how we can help the latter with work on the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment