2015-10-26

stellar chemistry without models

In my tiny bit of research time today, I had a call with Rix, who wanted to talk about various projects related to APOGEE and The Cannon. In particular we discussed results from Bovy that show that individual star-forming clusters seem to truly form single-abundance populations, with a unique chemical signature. This result is remarkable because he achieved it without any use of physical stellar models! We discussed next steps for The Cannon, including a modification in which we control the model complexity differently at every wavelength. I have great hopes for this. My first-try technology: The Lasso.

Also had a nice call with Dalya Baron and Dovi Poznanski (TAU) about deprojecting galaxies. We figured out that early-type galaxies in the SDSS would be a good place to start, since I know there is a result lurking there.

No comments:

Post a Comment