2012-04-02

taking the lucky out of lucky imaging

Federica Bianco (UCSB) stopped by for a few hours; she will join us at the CCPP next year as a fellowship postdoc. We discussed lucky imaging, which she has been doing with the LCOGT project. I bragged to her that I think I can beat any standard lucky imaging pipeline, and now I have to put up or shut up. I was basing my claims on this obscure paper which is packed with awesome, game-changing ideas. The basic idea is that if you see each image as putting a constraint on a PSF-convolved scene, every image, no matter how bad its PSF, contributes information to the high-resolution image you seek. The cool thing is that if you have enough data, the final reconstructed scene will have better angular resolution than even your best single image.

No comments:

Post a Comment