2011-10-03

fink

I didn't do much research today, but I did remind myself how to get a new Mac computer working. The answer: Fink. As much as I hate compiling everything from scratch (which fink does), the pre-built binaries never work on new hardware or operating systems, so I found that all shortcuts I wanted to take were useless. The key commands were:

sudo fink selfupdate
sudo fink update-all
sudo fink install numpy-py27
sudo fink install scipy-py27
sudo fink install matplotlib-py27
sudo fink install texlive
sudo fink install imagemagick

(All these run after installing Xcode from the App store.) Setting up a new computer is annoying and a headache, but actually, I think maybe it is research.

2 comments:

  1. I quite like macports for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. Another macports user here. What is the advantage of fink? Last time I tried fink it just seemed to be lagging behind macports. But that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete