2009-04-08

stream directions

Rix arrived for two weeks while I was out on a mental-health break (hence no posts for a few days). Today, he, Bovy, and I spent a good chunk of the morning going over the Rix-related on-going projects, including the Solar System dynamics, Galactic Black Hole, Galactic masers, and cold stellar stream projects. In regards the latter, Rix encouraged me to write up my concerns about the direction of the tidal stream in a short note. I started that late in the day. I will say more soon, but my concern is not about the fact that there is an action gradient along the stream, my concern is that even in the limit of zero action gradient, the stream will not obviously (to me, anyway) stretch out in the orbital direction. That said, it usually does in the simulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment