2007-08-02

debugging and tweaking

I spent most of my time yesterday (forgot to post!) and today continuing to add functionality to and debug the proper motion code. I decided that debugging requires that I have code to visually compare the stack of a set of epochs at zero proper motion and at some candidate non-zero proper motion, to understand, functionally, why I get some (clearly wrong) proper motions for some sources in real data, while not in the artificial data. I expect neighboring objects and noise issues (eg, underestimated noise) are affecting me. On the former (neighbors), the right thing to do is to simultaneously fit for all sources in the field!

The time not spent debugging was spent helping Lang, Mierle, Blanton, and Roweis finish the astrometry.net submission to Science. They are intent on submitting today. It is a lofty goal, and perhaps an achievable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment